Home Bylaws Members Forum Calendar
Photos Links Payments Rendezvous Sponsors

Exhaust Silencer - Manufactured by Soundown

Exhaust Silencer - Manufactured by Soundown

Postby Mark Appleton » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:27 pm

I have a 2008 Nordic 42. The exhaust silencer, which is manufactured by Sundown, has at it's base what appears to be a drain. It is covered with a large washer/plug and is attached by a large brass bolt through the centre. The washer portion has become heavily corroded and needs replacing. Any help on confirming this is nothing more than a drain and the correct procedure to be followed to replace would be very much appreciated. Can this be done in the water or does the boat have to be on the hard?

Thank you.
Mark Appleton

Re: Exhaust Silencer - Manufactured by Soundown

Postby Gary White » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:43 pm

My 37 has one also in similar condition. I am going to have North Harbor replace/repair it. I will let you know how it works out.
Gary White

Postby Mark Appleton » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:08 pm

Thanks Gary. I have had a preliminary chat with my mechanic who confirmed it is a drain and the washer/bolt can be easily changed while
the boat remains I the water. In fact this will be done next week and I will let you know the outcome. Good luck with yours.

Cheers.
Mark Appleton

Postby Gary White » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:07 pm

It is a drain. Mostly for winterizing if one does that. My mechanic replaced the brass petcock with a bronze plug. Says it should last longer without corroding. I also thought it would be a bigger problem!
Gary White

Postby Mark Appleton » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:16 pm

Since repaired. Corrosion from non stainless screws holding the cap. Repaired by drilling out screws, removing cap and cleaning cap then resealing using stainless screws. This is a drain and the repair can be made while in the water but the engine can not be run as the exhaust would flow directly into the bilge.
Mark Appleton

Return to Maintenance